The usual formula is made based on cow milk which is the most common reason for baby food allergy. The baby’s digestive system is still immature and often lacks the necessary enzymes to break down cow milk protein. The immune system perceives it as a threat, resulting in a reaction in the form of atopic dermatitis. To reduce the risk, try to replace the regular formula with the one containing the breakdown protein or cow milk analog.
Allergies cannot be ignored. Its mild form is manifested by peeling and dry skin and can be turned into asthma or Quincke’s edema. If a child is on mixed or bottle-feeding, there is a high probability of allergy. Then a hypoallergenic baby formula will come in handy.
What is Hypoallergenic Formula and When is it Needed?
Such feeding has other components in its content, as a rule, there is no natural milk in it. It is specially designed so that when it enters the kid’s body, it does not provoke allergic reactions or as a preventive measure. There are several types of hypoallergenic formulas:
- Dairy-free infant milk. Suitable for children with absolute intolerance to cow milk. Contain soy protein.
- Low – and lactose-free. It is designed for babies with lactose intolerance that is used for diarrhea and intestinal infections.
- Formulas with different types of protein hydrolyzate. They are made for children with severe milk allergies. For instance, hipp ha formula is made on milk protein which is broken down into small fragments so that it’s easier for kids to digest it.
HA formula can be prescribed in the following cases:
- Non-infectious diarrhea, an acute intestinal infection
- Allergic reaction to goat and cow milk protein
- For those who are mixed or bottle-fed showing clues of allergies
- A premature baby.
If you notice signs of allergies or know that a kid has a predisposition to it, the most sensible decision would be to visit a pediatrician. It is better that you choose a hypoallergenic diet under the guidance and supervision, especially if you encounter this issue for the first time.
How to Choose Hypoallergenic Feeding?
If a kid shows signs of allergies, consult a doctor to determine which substances an infant has a negative reaction to and, depending on this, choose the right feeding
Select age-appropriate formula. You will find the label on the package:
- “0” or “Pre” – for premature babies and infants with underweight
- “1” – for infants up to six months
- “2” – is intended for ages 6-12 months
- “3” – for one-year-old children and older
Hypoallergenic formula is marked with HA on the pack. You should also check if the content included prebiotics and probiotics, dietary fiber, iodine, iron, and folic acid in sufficient quantities. Besides, you need to give preferences to products without palm, rapeseed, and coconut oil with the appropriate label. When starting HA formula, give a newborn a small portion and monitor the reaction. If adverse effects occur, the feeding must be changed. The other reason to change the formula is poor gaining weight and sleeping restlessly. Once you have found the right diet, do not change it because the frequent change leads to deterioration of the child’s health.