Every aspiring business needs a successful online platform to achieve its goals. And there is one key requirement for any website or application to function: a web host. The concept of wordpress hosting on knownhost revolves around providing users a server for their site to reside in. This server is what gives a platform the ability to connect to the internet and all viable consumers through there.
The best eCommerce hosting platforms can grant users and their websites great benefits. A quality package would ideally include customized features tailored to your business. SSL Encryptions, set up for payment gateways, and extra security and scalability are part of the features of a good hosting service.
You can choose to self-host on your server if you are familiar with the process. However, paying a good hosting service provider can secure your website and provide you with the features you need.
Types of Web Hosting
To choose the best eCommerce hosting, you need to understand the types of web hosting. There are 6 main types of web hosting, namely:
- Shared Hosting: A shared hosting platform includes a service where multiple websites reside on a single server, connected to the net. This is a highly economical option.
- Virtual Private Server: This is a virtual machine and operates similarly to dedicated physical servers. However, they are defined by software, thus deeming them less expensive and seamless to use.
- Dedicated Hosting: A dedicated hosting service allows a website or a set of sites to lease an entire server that is operated by the same company. This works better than sharing the server as it offers more security but can be more expensive.
- Cloud Hosting: Cloud hosting uses the cloud to host multiple websites, using many servers as informational databases, to balance the load and needs of a website. This can help reduce redundancies, security threats, and maintenance costs.
- Managed Hosting: Managed hosting is a concept where a 3rd party vendor manages troubleshooting and handling the maintenance of your website and server.
- Colocation Hosting: The most expensive type is colocation hosting, which requires specific hardware to be purchased onsite along with renting physical servers.
Things to Look For From the Best eCommerce Hosting Services
- Optimized storage: Storage and bandwidth are key aspects of a hosting service’s capabilities and expenses. Storage space includes the entirety of space allocated to your website by the vendor. It is a virtual space that needs to have enough capacity to store all your eCommerce website’s needs. A good hosting platform must allocate space to capture your website’s needs as it scales upwards as well.
- Good Bandwidth: Bandwidth, the amount and speed of data transfers taking place between your website and online visitors. You ideally want high bandwidth to ensure this transfer takes place without any hiccups. Bandwidth affects the loading time of a page, website backups, email access, and more. Use a website hosting provider that allows you to switch plans if your site reaches its full spare capacity without imposing unreasonable and costly fees.
- Reliability: You want to look for providers who offer hosting with 99.9% uptime, meaning they won’t allow your website to go offline for more than 45 minutes a month. A website that is available 24/7 has a much higher chance of earning customer satisfaction and revenue. Look for a reliable service provider and check for customer reviews to verify their claims of uptime.
- Scaling Capability: Your online marketing activities will finally pay off, and you will see an increase in the number of visitors to your website. Is your website hosting solution kit flexible enough to handle a surge in traffic? Choose a service provider that can update essential hosting functionality at a reasonable cost.
There are many consequences to choosing an incorrect hosting platform, as they form the base of your website. While choosing the best eCommerce Hosting service for you, also consider providers who are transparent in their pricing and open in communication, to ensure the best long-term sustainability of your eCommerce store.